Tuesday, August 30, 2011

If I Had A Gun

Sometimes, most times, ok, ALL THE TIME, Oasis songs are the soundtrack of my life. They're relentlessly singable for a guy who spends most of his time with some kind of song in his head, and probably coming out his mouth to the endless joy of those within his blast radius.

When they split up a few years ago, a part of me was kinda gutted. Since then, they've gone their separate ways. Liam and the rest of the band are doing the Beady Eye thing, which, let's face it, is just ok. I mean, it's not bad, but a lot of Different Gear, Still Speeding sounds like a bunch of subpar Oasis B-sides. Do love The Beat Goes On though.

Noel, on the other hand, has been biding his time, prepping his songs and putting them out a little at a time. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds is due to drop October 17, and I liked the first single, The Death of You and Me, even if it did seem a bit like a knockoff of The Importance of Being Idle.

Today, it all changed.

Today, he dropped a doozy.

One of the next singles is going to be this little song called If I Had A Gun. It's been around for a while and has enjoyed some popularity online, mostly through this bootleg someone recorded at a soundcheck. It's a nice tease, but left me utterly unprepared for the glory that is the final track. I sat on the couch, getting in some iNet time before heading off to work, and found myself drinking it in through my headphones, wondering if I was going to cry. It's the kind of song someone would sing after just realizing that the person they were with was someone with whom they wanted to spend a forever.

Enjoy.


No comments: