I just love Oscar season! Ever since I was a wee lad, I've watched the show. This year should be good for a few reasons. #1. Ellen Degeneres should be a good host, maybe even a great one. (it won't take much to beat Jon Stewart. . .) #2. The Best Picture race is WIDE open this year. Anyway, I know you've been waiting with baited breath, so here are my predictions in the major categories . . .
- Alan Arkin for Little Miss Sunshine
- Jackie Earle Haley for Little Children
- Djimon Hounsou for Blood Diamond
- Eddie Murphy for Dreamgirls
- Mark Wahlberg for The Departed
Breakdown: This one is a no-brainer: Eddie Murphy. He won the major awards leading up to this and has had the most buzz, so I think that he’s got the best chance to win.
Predicted Winner: Eddie Murphy
If I was voting: Djimon Hounsou
Possible upsets: Alan Arkin, Mark Wahlberg.
- Adriana Barraza for Babel
- Cate Blanchett for Notes on a Scandal
- Abigail Breslin for Little Miss Sunshine
- Jennifer Hudson for Dreamgirls
- Rinko Kikuchi for Babel
Breakdown: Again, this one is a no-brainer. In fact, I think that it’s even easier to call than the previous category. Jennifer Hudson will win this one walking away.
Predicted Winner: Jennifer Hudson
If I was voting: Abigail Breslin
Possible upsets: Not going to happen.
- Leonardo DiCaprio for Blood Diamond
- Ryan Gosling for Half Nelson
- Peter O'Toole for Venus
- Will Smith for The Pursuit of Happyness
- Forest Whitaker for The Last King of Scotland
Breakdown: This one’s tricky. Forest Whitaker has won all of the major awards leading up to this, AND he’s the heavy favorite. However, I think that the Academy may not be able to resist giving the honor to Peter O’Toole. Think about it: he’s been nominated 8 times and has never won, and it would be a classic Oscar moment.
Predicted Winner: Peter O’Toole
If I was voting: Peter O’Toole
- Penélope Cruz for Volver
- Judi Dench for Notes on a Scandal
- Helen Mirren for The Queen
- Meryl Streep for The Devil Wears Prada
- Kate Winslet for Little Children
I’m not even going to waste your time, because no analysis is necessary. Helen Mirren should already have a space cleared out for her little gold man.
Predicted Winner: Helen Mirren
If I was voting: Meryl Streep
Possible upsets: None.
- Clint Eastwood for Letters from Iwo Jima
- Stephen Frears for The Queen
- Alejandro González Iñárritu for Babel
- Paul Greengrass for United 93
- Martin Scorsese for The Departed
This should be Martin Scorsese’s year. However, people have been saying that for a long time. Like O’Toole, Scorsese has been disappointed on Oscar night a jillion times. However, look for Scorsese to finally get his due.
Predicted Winner: Martin Scorsese
If I was voting: Paul Greengrass
Possible upsets: Clint Eastwood. (NEVER count him out)
This one is pretty wide open this year, which is very rare for a Best Picture race. I think that it’s fairly safe to count “The Queen” and “Letters from
Predicted Winner: “
Keep in mind that, no matter how certain a category may seem, this is the Oscars and they just love to confound us with their picks. . . (“Shakespeare in Love,” anyone?)